Cumulus Linux implementation on a ring topology for FTTx deployment is possible?

I'm wondering if I could use Cumulus Linux on Edge Core switches to create a physical ring topology for L2 OLT and OTT services. I haven't seen support to ERPS.

Using a physical ring topology, but a spine/leaf logical one would work?

Let's say each Edge Core Interface 1 will run E>W, to the top switch of the left. Then, each interface 2 will run W>E to the top switch on the right.

I want a simple logical topology, with the least L2 protocols, HA and near zero convergence.

Thanks,

Alvaro

5 replies

Userlevel 2
ERPS is not supported today or on the immediate road map. You may be able to use VxLAN with a routed underlay and BFD to get something similar. You may also want to consider what kind of MEF style tag manipulation would be required on the edge as there is limited support here as well.

Userlevel 4
I was also going to suggest VXLAN... each of those "pair" of switches can be a "shared" VTEP where they use an anycast address. The fabric would just be all eBGP but you can send VLANs across the fabric for L2 adj.

Is this a single site, or across the internet?
Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

I was also going to suggest VXLAN... each of those "pair" of switches can be a "shared" VTEP wher...

Hi Sean,

It's not across the Internet. It's for building an ISP backbone.

L2 will be required, as household routers will still use PPPoE.
Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

I was also going to suggest VXLAN... each of those "pair" of switches can be a "shared" VTEP wher...

Are you suggesting using EVPN? I can completely discard OSPF in that case.

If possible, can you elaborate a bit more? Is such a scenario possible to be simulated with Cumulus VX?
Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

BTW, how solid is the actual QinQ implementation?

Thanks!