Unable to install Ostinato

Has anyone installed Ostinato?

I can't install gdebi - seems like I need to modify /etc/apt/sources.list.

cumulus@cumulus$ sudo apt-get install gdebi
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

cumulus@cumulus$ sudo dpkg -i ostinato-agent*.deb ostinato-controller*.deb ostinato-0*.deb && sudo apt-get -f install
dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 1750:
invalid package name (may not be empty string)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Those errors usually indicate that you've not ever run 'sudo apt-get update' to update the database from the sources in sources.list

CL doesn't ship with upstream repos in sources.list, you'll need to add those, or better yet, drop them into a file in /etc/apt/sources.list/debian.list (or other name ending in .list). Then run 'sudo apt-get update', then try the install
Userlevel 5
Dave Olson wrote:

Those errors usually indicate that you've not ever run 'sudo apt-get update' to update the databa...

Yes I always have to look them up. Check this link and substitute the word "stretch" for "jessie" in the example for Cumulus Linux 3.x.
Userlevel 3
Is the intent to install ostinato to generate traffic from the switch? If so, I would strongly recommend not doing that. It will not work as well as you would expect, unless you are generating traffic out of eth0.
Hmmm, was thinking that I could use one of the 40G interfaces. I have no plans on sending any kind of high bandwidth, but I'm surprised that a non-eth0 interface would have difficulty. For the time - it's very simple sending of individual packets, one at a time.
Userlevel 5
Scott Reeve wrote:

Hmmm, was thinking that I could use one of the 40G interfaces. I have no plans on sending any ki...

That should work.... The CPUs in most of the switches don't have a ton of horsepower but the usual chokepoint is the connectivity between the CPU and the Asic which is less than 1gbps. Is ostinato headless now? Last time I looked it was a GUI based took only but looks like they've broken it into and agent and controller now?
Userlevel 3
Last time I used Ostinato, the GUI was a QT interface I installed on my Mac, and the hosts in the lab were running Drone.

Nevertheless, the Cumulus switches only have a PCI gen2 bus connection to the ASIC. So to generate traffic out the front ports, the CPU must generate the packets and send them across the PCIe bus, which is also used for switchd to sync state to the ASIC. If you congest that connection between the kernel and ASIC with data packets, it will certainly cause problems. However if your goal is to test a protocol, it should be fine at low speeds. I would say keep it below 200Mbps.
Thanks for all of the great information. The hw FWIW, is HPE Altoline 5712.