Solved

apt-get through mgmt vrf interface

• 19 July 2018
  • 3 replies

How can i run apt-get to install Tacacs+ through the mgmt vrf interface (eth0)? I am able to SSH to the switch through the mgmt vrf interface but apt-get is failing. Is there a way to direct apt-get to utilize the mgmt vrf/interface?
icon

Best answer by Dave Olson 19 July 2018, 19:37

It's hard to answer this question, because we don't know what's failing.

apt-get just uses normal routing to get to the server(s) listed in sources.list.

If you are using management vrf, that should "just work" if you login over the network, because we set up mgmt vrf routing by default when mgmt vrf is enabled.

You can also set up proxies for apt, but they aren't usually needed, unless your company has firewall rules, and has you using proxies.

If the hostname resolution was the only thing failing, and the change to resolv.conf fixed that for you, are there remaining problems?
View original

3 replies

adding the correct DNS server would help.... Forgot to add # mgmt.
Userlevel 3
It's hard to answer this question, because we don't know what's failing.

apt-get just uses normal routing to get to the server(s) listed in sources.list.

If you are using management vrf, that should "just work" if you login over the network, because we set up mgmt vrf routing by default when mgmt vrf is enabled.

You can also set up proxies for apt, but they aren't usually needed, unless your company has firewall rules, and has you using proxies.

If the hostname resolution was the only thing failing, and the change to resolv.conf fixed that for you, are there remaining problems?
Once I added "# mgmt" to the DNS entry, apt-get worked through the mgmt vrf interface.