BGP command update - Possible data loss with wrong command

• 28 April 2016
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 5
This announcement is to inform you of some unintuitive behavior recently brought to our attention that may impact customers using BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) for routing under Cumulus Linux 2.5.7 and earlier.

What do I need to know?
Executing the BGP "no neighbor activate" command or the Cumulus Linux "cl-bgp neighbor deactivate" command to disable a BGP peer removes all associated address-family configurations, such as route-maps and prefix-lists; however, the peer neighbor statement remains. While this behavior is consistent with legacy protocol suites, it can have unintended side effects.

How can I avoid this?
The correct way to disable a BGP peer is with the "neighbor shutdown" or "cl-bgp neighbor stop" commands. This preserves all neighbor-specific configurations for when the peer is brought back into service.

More details about running these commands are available on the Cumulus Networks support website.

What else can I do?
Please contact our support team if you have any questions or concerns. Stay informed by subscribing to the product bulletin and security advisory mailing lists.

Cumulus Networks is always committed to continuously supporting and improving our products and customer experience.

This topic has been closed for comments