Bug search for Cumulus Linux OS

Hi all, I am new to the community and currently having one question regarding the bug search.

We recently had P1 incident that was triggered by two SW bugs on Cumulus switches - CM-16720 and CM-14003. However I could not locate the detail of those two bugs from the release notes.

Do we have any bug search tool to quickly locate those two bugs?

Thank you!
David

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi David, sorry to hear about this. I just checked and we never wrote a release note for either of these tickets, CM-16720 and CM-14003. I'll ask internally about this and get them written up. What version of Cumulus Linux are you running?

For anyone else reading this, We report known issues in our release notes for every version of our software. The release notes are tied to our internal JIRA instance, which is where a ticket named CM-##### comes from.

https://support.cumulusnetworks.com/hc/en-us/sections/200398876-Release-Notes
Pete B wrote:

Hi David, sorry to hear about this. I just checked and we never wrote a release note for either o...

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your answer. We are running on 3.1.2 and yes I could not find any detail for those two tickets. We also requested the detail of the bugs to be officially sent to us however so far we only got a brief description on that and there is no ETA when the issue can be fixed.

Hope Cumulus can improve this by publishing a bug search tool soon.

Thanks again!
David
Userlevel 1
Hi all,
+1 for a search tool to quickly locate bugs.
For example right now I was searching, with no luck, information on bug CM-17143.
Thank you
Userlevel 3
Alberto, 17143 looks like it was fixed in version 3.4.0. What version are you running?

David, sorry you haven't received much information about those two issues, but those issues should be fixed in version 3.3.0. Can you upgrade to 3.3.0? If not, maybe try VX 3.3.0 and see if you can reproduce them there?

I've raised the suggestion of having a searchable bug database. I'll let you know what I hear.
Userlevel 1
Pete B wrote:

Alberto, 17143 looks like it was fixed in version 3.4.0. What version are you running?

David, s...

Hi Pete,
unfortunately I can't find the bug in 3.4.0 release notes
https://support.cumulusnetworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011217808-Cumulus-Linux-3-4-0-Release-Notes
BTW, I'm actually on 3.4.x on my Cumulus switches and to say the truth I don't even know which kind of bug is the CM-17143: I was just curious to know about it because it's mentioned here
https://github.com/IPvSean/ansible_nclu/blob/master/pull_nclu.yml
I think this is, another, case in which a search tool can be useful.
Thank you again.
Userlevel 3
Pete B wrote:

David, s...

Yes, since it was never put into the release notes to begin with, it won't appear on any external fixed list, but I saw it internally.

In talking with the support team, they would like to have a publicly searchable bug database, but it would be a lot of work, so it will take some time for us to enable (for example, many bugs have customer-specific information in them, so we would have to sanitize all the tickets in JIRA, and we're still a pretty small shop so it would be quite an undertaking.

17143 had to do with default settings always being shown in NCLU output, even if the a setting (such as a .1x interface) wasn't enabled on an interface.
Thanks Pete, much appreciated. I know that 3.5.0 has just been released however which version would you recommend us to upgrade to if we schedule the upgrade within one month or so? Which version is the most stable one at the moment?

Thank you!
Userlevel 3
David Guan wrote:

Thanks Pete, much appreciated. I know that 3.5.0 has just been released however which version wou...

You may be better off with 3.4.3 since 3.5.0 is still so fresh.