Creating a vlan and enabling it for port participation(GVRP)

Could someone suggest, if the below command is the right way to create a VLAN that enables PORT Participation? or is there any way to set PORT participation for an existing VLAN (VLAN created already using ip link command)?

ip link add link eth2 eth2.103 type vlan id 103 gvrp on loose_binding on

Thanks in advance.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
I have not seen a customer configure GVRP nor do I think we support it.... However I think I can answer your question.

There is 3 ways to configure what you want... usually I recommend the persistent flat-file approach but you are already using the ip link add command....
  • Configuring the persistent configuration file to add an interface to the bridge by editing /etc/network/interfaces with nano/vi/zile auto <bridge-name> iface <bridge-name> bridge-ports <- you add the port here
  • Using linux commands ip link set master <bridge_name> or brctl addif <bridge_name>
  • Using NCLU net add <bridge_name> bridge-ports swp1-2
It would be really helpful to know what your goal is? Are you writing an application that runs on Cumulus linux? Are you just trying to build a data center network?
Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

I have not seen a customer configure GVRP nor do I think we support it.... However I think...

Thanks Sean.
Yes, we are building an application(that runs on CumulusLinux) to configure all the aspects of the switch. We are flexible to use 3.0 / 3.2 versions