Solved

DNS and Management VRF

Hi Guys,
I have some questions about how DNS works with a management VRF. I was referring to this article: https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Management+VRF

1. If we lose the inband connectivity, will DNS work out of the management VRF even if I don't specify a specific server for # vrf mgmt in /etc/resolv.conf?

2. If I must specify a DNS just for the management vrf, can it be the same one as the one in the in band vrf. For example is this supported in /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 10.254.1.1 # vrf mgmt
nameserver 10.254.1.1
What are our options and what is supported?
icon

Best answer by David Ahern 2 November 2018, 18:57

Hi:

You need to specify the VRF a DNS server is reachable through. We no longer assume all DNS servers are reachable through management VRF.

The same server address can not be given twice in /etc/resolv.conf with different vrf associations.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi:

You need to specify the VRF a DNS server is reachable through. We no longer assume all DNS servers are reachable through management VRF.

The same server address can not be given twice in /etc/resolv.conf with different vrf associations.
Userlevel 3
Thanks for asking @susan_in_austin, and for answering, @David Ahern. I updated the management VRF chapter with this information.
To get around this problem we had to setup a separate DNS server in the management VRF. Our testing confirmed what you said, David.