Does the cl-acltool -i command work without a license?

Userlevel 1
I received one of our switches and downloaded the OS image, however I'm waiting on our other switches to come in before we get our licenses. I'm trying to pre-configure the switch as much as possible and wanted to know if the cl-acltool -i command works without having a license installed?
I received the following error when issuing the command:
error: failed to connect to hw
init failed, aborting
I'm currently running CL 3.1.1
Thanks in advance.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
I would not expect it to. The license enable the switchd daemon which turns on the ASIC. The cl-acltool command triggers switchd to write iptables rules to hardware. Without switchd or the asic running there would be no way to push the written rule to hardware.
Userlevel 4
Pete Lumbis wrote:

I would not expect it to. The license enable the switchd daemon which turns on the ASIC. The [i]c...

I agree with what Pete has said here but wanted to point out that staging the rules file in the right location on disk should still speed up the turn-up process. When the license is loaded, and switchd is restarted your custom rules will be loaded without any extra effort.
Userlevel 1
Pete Lumbis wrote:

I would not expect it to. The license enable the switchd daemon which turns on the ASIC. The [i]c...

Thanks Pete and Eric!