Dear Cumulus supporter,
I am pretty new to the switching environment and my boss asked me to check if it is possible to get rid of the proprietary switch software like Ci.., HP.., Juni.. and so on.
So I decided to give it a try to take the OCP approach of facebook by separating hardware from software.
Sadly I am really pretty quickly getting stuck with the hardware, since the switch vendors do not release information about the switches well.
E.g. I would like to setup a test lab, for a small network. My budget is also very small, so I have no option to spend multiple thousands of $ for a lab setup. Therefore I tend to go to the used market and to take 48x 1G-baseT switches and with 2/4 10G uplinks.
I have found following switches, which would fit into my budget for a lab setup.
- Juniper EX3300-48T
- Arista 7048T-A
- are they supported by cumulus linux?
- will cumulus linux be installable on both on the naked hardware? (if so is where any documentation how to do it)?
- how to find out what CPU, RAM and so on are used on such hardware?
- what versions of cumulus linux are supported?
- are there more supported low budget switches with longer support for my lab setup? Which one could you recommend?
I have read already the HCL also I have tried to understand from the documentation, but it looks like I am to fresh in the topic to get the full picture.