multiple VLAN-aware bridge

We need to give 2 to 10 physical 10G ports for each of our customers.
Each of these customers already have their own infrastructure with multiple VLANS.
Our customers, often use identical vlan id , and they wan't to freely choose their own vlan id.

For example, in the same 42U rack, we have 8 customers:
customer A : 5x10G port, nearly 600 VLAN (vlan 1, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104...)
customer B : 7x10G port, nearly 400 VLAN (vlan 1, 100, 104, 112...)
customer C : 7x10G port, nearly 700 VLAN (vlan 1, 102, 103, 140...)

For a total of 40 ports (< 48 ports) !

We plan to give them multiple dedicated bridge (with the freedom to choose their vlan id on it) on a single Top of Rack switch .

Do you plan to support multiple VLAN-aware bridge on a single switch ?

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi Emmanuel, we don't have any plans at this time for multiple VLAN-aware bridges on a switch, but I have let the product manager know about your request.
Pete B wrote:

Hi Emmanuel, we don't have any plans at this time for multiple VLAN-aware bridges on a switch, bu...

Hi Pete, We are needing the same feature. I found:
https://support.cumulusnetworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/213715608-What-Is-a-Bridge-

Concept #4: Bridges Behave Like Logically Isolated Switches in Linux
Corollary: Linux allows you to have more than one logical switch (bridge) defined on a single physical switch.
Warning: This configuration is not recommended. It is uncommon and untested, though possible within the confines of what bridges allow within Linux. It is documented below only to highlight the concept of bridges as logical isolated switches.

Do you know which is the state of this post? Is this configuration still a concept? How about this concept + vxlan scenario?

Do you recommend go into production with this scenario?

Userlevel 3
Pete B wrote:

Hi Emmanuel, we don't have any plans at this time for multiple VLAN-aware bridges on a switch, bu...

Hello Jorge, I'll check with the consulting engineer who wrote this post about how current it is, but I'd hold off on using this in production at this time, given the warning you quote.
Userlevel 4
Pete B wrote:

Jorge, The configuration as described there should work. Ideally you'd want to create two traditional bridges instead of one vlan-aware and one traditional but both should work. I will advise that depending on what you're trying to do, the caveat is accurate -- it is largely untested. So I would advise testing this configuration before taking it to production. Feel free to post specific questions in a new thread or on our slack --> Join Cumulus on Slack: https://slack.cumulusnetworks.com/
Hi Pete,

I prefer VLAN-aware bridges for the syntax (easy to read and understand).
If there is no plan at this time for multiple VLAN-aware bridges, I will go back to traditional bridge mode.

Thank you.
Userlevel 3
Thanks Emmanuel. If this changes, we'll let you know!