Question

QinQ CVLAN Stripping

• 1 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I work for a small ISP that’s actually growing some fast. Right now most of the backhaul and core network runs overs a few Cisco routers and switches (asr 9001, some nexus) and a lot of Mikrotiks.

We own a small optical fiber network plus and a Fixed Wireless Access network where most of ours old customers came from. But we also use some external carriers in wholesale mode.

We’re starting to develop a new network model aimed to increase the network overall capacity, Cumulus Linux seems a very good compromise between features and costs.

Here’s the problem:

A lot of our customers are connected to us thru a carrier that delivers the traffic over a QinQ based port.

The service tag defines the pop (may be 5/6 in every big city and one every few small villages) and the COS type (0, 1, 5) so we have, right now, about 400 service tags but in a couple of years this number will be, at least, doubled.

The customer tag defines… The customer.

In theory we can have about 4000 customer under each svlan

Every client/customer’s cpe creates a pppoe tunnel.

In this very moment we create a pppoe server (using a mikrotik ccr and/or chr) for every single customer (carrierPort->SVLAN->CVLAN->PPPoEServerInterface) but our goal is to untag (or strip) all customers vlan and bridge the service vlan into 3 cos-based interfaces/vlan/vxlan tunnels with a single pppoe server for cos 0 (and maybe cos 5)

Plus.

We got another carrier that delivers traffic from our customer to us using a simple 802.1q trunk port with a tag for every pop and no customer vlan, there are, more or less, 1000 pops in the country. In this case we create a pppoe server for every vlan.
As far as I know, in this case, it should be quite simple to create a vlan-awared bridge  between all the vlans in the carrier interface and an interface (or tunnel) to our pppoe server.

Long story short, here’s the question.

Can I do what I need to do using cumulus linux or that’s out of the possibilites?

I know that some Cisco and Juniper equipment accomplish what I’ve descrived, but are both out of our budget at the moment…

Thanks a lot.

2 replies

Userlevel 5

There are a number of ISPs using Q-in-Q feature sets with Cumulus for the exact reasons you’ve mentioned. The Q-in-Q knowledge set is not universal though and each deployment tends to be highly specific. I strongly recommend you start a conversation with the technical sales person in your area to get a better understanding of your specific requirements and assess whether we can easily hit the mark -- my gut says yes, but the devil is in the details with Q-in-Q. If you need a hand getting connected to that person let me know and I can have them reach out!

Hi Eric, yes please, if you can get me in touch with the right person will be very kind.

We are from Europe, Italy.