Solved

Question about Cumulus License

Hi All,

Someone in my company give me a cumulus long time ago, I don't know much details about the license, the license works fine for Cumulus 2.5.6.

In those day, I want to apply this license to another switch in HCL where Cumulus 3.6.0 is installed, the switchd can be started, the front panel ports seems okay since I saw the lights on the switch are green, but the nodes plugged into switch cannot ping each other and cannot ping external network also.

So, my question is,

• Does Cumulus license has anything to do with Cumulus OS version? or one license can apply to all Cumulus OS version?
  • How can I make sure this is a valid license? since I can see the switchd is started, is there any message anywhere to check whether it is really works or not?
  • Is there any limit on the number of switch? I know some license has the limit, but anyway to check this one?
Any comment is highly appreciated!
icon

Best answer by Pete B 16 August 2018, 17:58

Hi @jungler the license is not tied to the version of the software, but you can only run one license on one switch at a time. 2.5.6 is a pretty old version! But it depends on the term you bought — 1, 3 or 5 years. If the license is valid, you can upgrade to the latest version using `apt-get update && apt-get upgrade`. But that's a big jump in versions, so make sure you back up your config before you try upgrading.

You can read about licenses in our knowledge base.

You can check the status of your license in our customer portal.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!
View original

12 replies

Userlevel 3
The license is not OS-specific, but in general, you aren't supposed to use the same license for multiple switches, unless your support/purchase agreement allows that.

If you run cl-license, it will tell you if the license is invalid.

Since you are in 3.x, start with: systemctl --failed; systemctl status switchd
Userlevel 4
Hi @jungler the license is not tied to the version of the software, but you can only run one license on one switch at a time. 2.5.6 is a pretty old version! But it depends on the term you bought — 1, 3 or 5 years. If the license is valid, you can upgrade to the latest version using `apt-get update && apt-get upgrade`. But that's a big jump in versions, so make sure you back up your config before you try upgrading.

You can read about licenses in our knowledge base.

You can check the status of your license in our customer portal.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Hi @Dave Olson @Pete B and all,

Thanks for your feedback, your comments are pretty much helpful, can you pls help me again for another question?

So, right now, the license is applied to two switches, one switch installed cumulus 2.5.6 and the other is cumulus 3.6.0. The switch with cumulus 2.5.6 works fine but the switch with cumulus 3.6.0 doesn't work, as I said nodes plugged into the switch cannot ping each other or ping external, Is this caused by "but you can only run one license on one switch at a time"?

I am going to shutdown the switch with cumulus 2.5.6, do you think the switch with 3.6.0 will workable? or anything else *configuration* I need to do on cumulus 3.6.0?

Million thanks for any comments!
@Pete B ,

I am not sure where is the license from, so I cannot check the status of the license. How can I purge the license from the switch which run with cumulus 2.5.6?
Userlevel 3
Unless you installed the license wrong, it's almost certainly not the problem.
Did you run either of the commands that I suggested? If so, what did they show?
@Dave Olson , "systemctl status switchd" on cumulus 3.6.0 shows the service is active and running,
On cumulus2.5.6, this is what I can see,
# ps -ef | grep switch
root 2690 1 26 Jul20 ? 7-11:03:49 /usr/sbin/switchd -d
root 30372 30025 0 06:20 pts/0 00:00:00 grep switch

So you believe the license is okay on both switch? Should I do any configuration on the switch to make the switch forward the data correctly?
Userlevel 3
IF systemctl status shows switchd is active, the license is OK. Something else about your configuration is causing problems. I'd suggest opening a support case.

I did ask for two commands to be run. To repeat: systemctl --failed
Does it show any failed services? If so, mention them in the support case.
@Dave Olson ,

Details for each of the command,

$ sudo systemctl --failed --all
0 loaded units listed.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

$ sudo systemctl status switchd
● switchd.service - Cumulus Linux Switch Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/switchd.service; enabled)
Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/switchd.service.d
└─override.conf
Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-08-17 06:39:48 UTC; 5s ago
Main PID: 2918 (switchd)
CGroup: /system.slice/switchd.service
└─2918 /usr/sbin/switchd

Aug 17 06:39:52 cumulus switchd[2918]: hal_bcm_console.c:66 bcm-dcmd: echo ...ll
Aug 17 06:39:52 cumulus switchd[2918]: hal_bcm_console.c:66 bcm-dcmd: phy c...=0
Aug 17 06:39:52 cumulus switchd[2918]: hal_bcm_console.c:66 bcm-dcmd: echo ...ll
Aug 17 06:39:52 cumulus switchd[2918]: hal_bcm_console.c:66 bcm-dcmd: phy c...=0
Aug 17 06:39:52 cumulus switchd[2918]: hal_bcm_console.c:66 bcm-dcmd: port ...ed
Aug 17 06:39:53 cumulus switchd[2918]: hal_bcm_console.c:66 bcm-dcmd: echo ...ll
Aug 17 06:39:53 cumulus switchd[2918]: hal_bcm_console.c:66 bcm-dcmd: phy c...=0
Aug 17 06:39:53 cumulus switchd[2918]: hal_bcm_console.c:66 bcm-dcmd: echo ...ll
Aug 17 06:39:53 cumulus switchd[2918]: hal_bcm_console.c:66 bcm-dcmd: phy c...=0
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, ...

Thanks!
Userlevel 4
@Pete B ,

I am not sure where is the license from, so I cannot check the status of the license. How can I purge the license from the switch which run with cumulus 2.5.6?

Hi @jungler you can remove the license and the configuration with the `sudo cl-img-select -k` command. We discuss removing the license in our knowledge base.
@Pete B and all,

Do you know what will happen if I apply one license on two switches? I saw all front panel ports on both switches are up, but seems like I face the trouble on the data forwarding from the switch, i.e. both switches are un-functional now, is this an expected behavior?
@all,

Thanks guys for your feedback, the issue has been resolved, it's not the license problem but just cumulus related network configuration.

Really appreciate for all your help!
Userlevel 4
Glad you figured it out @jungler!