VRR IPv6 ?

Userlevel 1
For IPv4 first hop redundancy and load balancing, Cumulus supports "VRR". But what about IPv6 ? Does VRR also exist for it ?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Yes, this is supported in Cumulus Liinux.
Userlevel 3
Yes, it is supported. You can even use BOTH IPv4 and IPv6. Here's an example config snippet from /etc/network/interfaces for that:
auto br.100
iface br.100 address fd06:4903::2/64 address 10.103.3.2/24 address-virtual 00:00:5E:00:01:03 10.103.3.1/24 fd06:4903::1/64

Userlevel 1
Great thanks !

I was a bit confused by the help from the ansible module that specifically says that virtual_ip is an IPv4 ( https://github.com/CumulusNetworks/cumulus-linux-ansible-modules/blob/master/library/cl_interface.py )

to bump this thread as I had a similar question, is there anything else that needs to be configured to enable VRR for ipv6, i.e. enabling RA advertisements on the bridge interface inside Quagga? or by configuring IPv6 address as a virtual-address the devices will begin sending RA's using the virtual address?
Userlevel 5
Will McLendon wrote:

to bump this thread as I had a similar question, is there anything else that needs to be configur...

Nothing needs to be configured outside of setting up ipv6 in the networking configuation.