Vxlan and multi-tenancy

Dear Team,
First i would like to thank all of you for your support, although this is probably my first query but i have read through other posts and have found very helpful tips. My query may not directly relate to Cumulus but i would appreciate any help and support you can provide me. I am from networking background with zero real world experience in server and applications etc. I have used vmware workstation alot, no vsphere. Done little programming through php/apache so this is all for me.

I need help understanding multi-tenancy, what is it and why we need Vxlan. I was going through a webinar of Dinesh/Ivan on operationalizing BGP in datacenter and this statement came up that for multi-tenancy, vxlan is required. I think i understand vxlan as overlay (Encapsulation technology) over L3 networks but then again its confusing. What we mean by multi-tenancy and what vxlan does for it to achieve ?

Any explanation that can help me is highly appreciated.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Multi-tenancy is a term that refers to a single vxlan serving multiple L2 logical segments.

VXLAN uses a VLAN-like encapsulation technique to encapsulate MAC-based layer 2 Ethernet frames within layer 3 UDP packets. Each virtual network is a VXLAN logical L2 segment. VXLAN scales to 16 million segments – a 24-bit VXLAN network identifier (VNI ID) in the VXLAN header – for multi-tenancy.
again, how does vxlan plays any role if we talk about multi-tenancy in a software ?
any help please
Userlevel 5
ovais,

VXLANs are one specific way to enforce the multi-tennancy in the network. For software purposes it is one way to accomplish this.

Here are the docs for Network virtualization: https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Network+Virtualization

what i dont understand is, in software multi-tenancy, we dont have separate ip addresses for different tenants, how does vxlan fits in all this ?
Userlevel 4
Define software multi-tenancy. Trying to understand the question.