What is meaning of 'vlan-raw-device bridge'?

Userlevel 1
Hello,

While studying VRR setup at

https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Virtual+Router+Redundancy+-+VRR

====================
auto bridge
iface bridge
bridge-vids 500
bridge-vlan-aware yes

auto vlan500
iface vlan500
address 192.168.0.252/24
address 2001:aa::1/48
address-virtual 00:00:5e:00:01:01 2001:aa::1/48 192.168.0.254/24
vlan-id 500
vlan-raw-device bridge
==================

I found there are one parameter 'vlan-raw-device bridge'

but I could not what is meaning about this. Could anyone can advise?

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hey machiasiaweb,

There is two ways to have a bridge SVI (Switch VLAN Interface) also known as a "gateway" or VLAN Interface. We can use a sub-interface for the VLAN-aware bridge:

auto bridge.10  iface bridge.10    address 172.16.10.5/24  auto bridge.20  iface bridge.20    address 172.16.20.5/24  
The above creates two SVIs. One for VLAN10 and one for VLAN20. The other way is using vlan-raw-device keyword which is what NCLU uses by default. This allows you to "name" the SVI whatever you want (in this case NCLU names it "vlan500" which makes sense b/c its the SVI for vlan500. This was more intuitive for customers when we did working sessions while developing NCLU. The one side affect is by naming the SVI a particular "name" we have to tie it back to the vlan-aware bridge. That is what the vlan-raw-device does. So if you "wanted" you could call your VLAN500 machiasiaweb or whatever you want (as long as you are under the 15 character limit). Let me know if you need more info.
Userlevel 1
Hello,

Thanks for explain, does it when I using

vlan-raw-device bridge

The parameter 'bridge' is match the above bridge name?

Another example your suggested
===
auto bridge.10
iface bridge.10
====

For my understanding that is a traditional method. Does it will have conflict when I using vlan aware mode 'bridge-vlan-aware yes'?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
machiasiaweb wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for explain, does it when I using

vlan-raw-device bridge

The param...

Neither of the above methods will work with a traditional bridge (also sometimes referred to as a vlan-unaware bridge). You just would do a traditional bridge like this->

auto abridgename iface abridgename   address 5.5.5.5/24   bridge-ports swp1.10 swp2.10 swp3.10 

the bridge subinterfaces are what "tag" the bridge in the traditional bridge. The parameter 'bridge' is match the above bridge name?

yes in this case, the name is what its using
Userlevel 1
Thanks!