Can we extend the disk space of Virtual machine of VMware in which cumulus VX is deployed from ova ?

extend disk space of cumulus VX in vmware

4 replies

Userlevel 4
It should be possible. Have you tried any of the procedures here? http://www.howtogeek.com/124622/how-to-enlarge-a-virtual-machines-disk-in-virtualbox-or-vmware/
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. I am able to increase the disk space from Virtual box and Vmware externally. but it only shows the default 2GB from the Cumulus:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 2.0G 2.0G 0 100% /
/dev/root 2.0G 2.0G 0 100% /
tmpfs 94M 276K 94M 1% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
tmpfs 188M 0 188M 0% /run/shm
/dev/sda1 46M 11M 34M 24% /boot
tmpfs 188M 0 188M 0% /tmp
Userlevel 4
Here were some of the resize commands I used. VBoxManage clonehd /home/eric/VirtualBox\ VMs/switch11/cumulus-vx-2.5.4-disk1.vmdk ./cloned.vdi --format vdi VBoxManage modifyhd ./cloned.vdi --resize 8000 VBoxManage clonehd ./cloned.vdi /home/eric/VirtualBox\ VMs/switch11/cumulus-vx-2.5.4-disk1_new.vmdk --format vmdk Once you grow the disk externally, the next step is to grow the partition on the virtual disk. The procedure they outline is to boot a gparted live-cd. VX does not have any optical drives enabled by default so you'll need to enable one under a storage controller and use an iso of Ubuntu or a Gparted Live-CD to boot into a virtual live environment in order to resize the partition. Note: I had to crank up the memory I allocated to the VM from 200 MB to 1000MB to boot into an Ubuntu Live CD. After I was finished resizing using the Gparted method I shut down the VM and removed the optical drive and set the memory back down to 200 MB to boot the VM and give it a shot. It worked for me.

Thanks Eric,

That was really helpful, now i am able to increase the disk space using gparted live CD.