Cannot ping layer 3 IP assigned to swp of Cumulusvx

Hi,

I have created a vswitch in vmware and created a portgroup and associated physical interface in it. I have assigned a /30 address to the swp interface in cumulusvx and connected to my laptop with next IP and connected to that port, the link is up but i am not able to ping point to point. The arp tables says incomplete.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
A topology diagram would help here. I'm not sure I could draw your set up with what you've described.
Userlevel 1
Hello Sushil, if i understood correctly, it seems you are connecting your laptop directly to a physical port of your ESXi so make sure you are not tagging your frames toward your laptop (VLAN ID 0).
Hi Eric,

I have deployed CumulusVX in a Vmware and Ethernet is connected from vmnic2 to my PC. IP on my PC is 10.1.1.2/30 and swp2(bound to vmnic2 from vswitch) is 10.1.1.1/30 . But the ping is not
working though physical link is up. Please check the topology diagram.

Userlevel 1
Hey Sushil
While waiting for Eric's answer, did you confirm everything is fine from the vswitch point of view?
- Is your ESXi receiving a MAC address from your laptop on vmnic2? run "esxcfg-nics -l"
- is your VM on correct port-group "esxcli network vm list"
- is your VM mapped to the correct uplink? "esxcli network vm port list -w (world-id from previous command)
- have you tried to put a second cumulusVX VM on the same vswitch and test connectivity within the vswitch?
Userlevel 4
Jean-Louis Auzepy wrote:

Hey Sushil
While waiting for Eric's answer, did you confirm everything is fine from the vswitch p...

These would be the answers I would look into. From your topology drawing the issue seems to lie with the vswitch but I'll defer to community knowledge for expertise in those products.