Solved

Cumulus VX and console width

• 22 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi There,
I am using cumulus vx from gns3. When I take console of cumulus vx, my console width is small and do not go to next line. That is, when I type lengthy commands it over rights the line beginning and it does not go to second line.

Please suggest the solution. I am attaching the image for better understanding.

icon

Best answer by Dave Olson 22 April 2019, 18:42

If you always use exactly the same terminal sessions, yes, you can put it into the .bashrc file on the switch (vx), but if you want to keep spinning up new vx sessions, no, it's per session, unless you save your own vx image after modifying.

It's standard linux behavior, nothing to do with vx per se.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
It's functioning the same as if you had a large xterm, and telnet'ed into a serial console port through a terminal server.

The easiest thing is to install ncurses-bin if not installed, and type 'reset'. With an X session, it will reset the parameters.

Without installing anything, run 'stty rows YOURTERMHEIGHT cols YOURTERMWIDTH'. You may also need to reset your (local) terminal session afterwards, if you've used curses oriented programs. Sometimes just typing 'vi' and exiting is enough.
Hi Dave
Thanks for the quick reply.

Mentioning stty rows 30 cols 100 worked. But I had to type that every time when I logout and login to cumulus vx. Anything to make it permanent? Can I put that in rc.local?
Why it happens? does this happen to all vx implementations? Any suggestions?
Regards
Ravi
Userlevel 3
If you always use exactly the same terminal sessions, yes, you can put it into the .bashrc file on the switch (vx), but if you want to keep spinning up new vx sessions, no, it's per session, unless you save your own vx image after modifying.

It's standard linux behavior, nothing to do with vx per se.