Cumulus VX kernel panics on internal KVM based OpenStack deployment

After successfully importing Cumulus VX 2.5.6 into our KVM based OpenStack Kilo installation we see that any instance launched from the image kernel panics on boot. It looks to be failing to find required disk devices. Has anyone successfully got the KVM image running in any OpenStack installation or have an idea on how to troubleshoot? Ultimately I'd love to see an image built specifically for OpenStack that includes cloud-init and published here: http://apps.openstack.org/#tab=glance-images.

15 replies

Yup, we are having the same problem here, in KVM env
Userlevel 1
Does the 2.5.5 VX image also exhibit these issues?
Yup I just tried that one too
Userlevel 1
OK, I've started a thread in email, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
Awesome thanks!

Hey Guys checking in is there a point release that is know to work?

Userlevel 5
Chuck, What type of bus interface is being exposed for the mass storage device? It looks as though there is a failure to mount the root file system. We are still working on a test here. Thanks!
Userlevel 5
One more question, how much RAM are you giving the instance?
you mean what kind of driver? VirtIO I tried with 2 and 4 gb ram
Userlevel 1
All, we've root caused this, and found a bug in Cumulus VX that is slated to be fixed in the next release. Thanks for finding this!
Andrius Benokraitis wrote:

All, we've root caused this, and found a bug in Cumulus VX that is slated to be fixed in the next...

I'm getting same failure with 2.5.6 is that the fixed relase or is it the next after that?

The OpenStack it's failing on is Kilo on Ubuntu14.04 with kvm hypervisor (QEMU emulator version 2.2.0 (Debian 1:2.2+dfsg-5expubuntu9.6~cloud0) to be exact)

Userlevel 5
Andrius Benokraitis wrote:

All, we've root caused this, and found a bug in Cumulus VX that is slated to be fixed in the next...

So it is not in the 2.5.x VX. It will be in the 3.0 VX release. There is a work around by changing the hard disk type to SATA from virtio.
I had the same issue on my KVM environment, RHEV, I solved this changing the hard disk type from virtio to SATA, I hope it helps..
Jaret Garcia wrote:

I had the same issue on my KVM environment, RHEV, I solved this changing the hard disk type from ...

I left mine in virtio and edited the bootloader string to /dev/vda2 for root and it booted.
Jaret Garcia wrote:

I had the same issue on my KVM environment, RHEV, I solved this changing the hard disk type from ...

changing the Linux kernel command line in grub to set root=/dev/vda2 was literally the first thing I tried. The second was the set the block driver to scsi to give sda naming that the image seems to expect. I'm not sure what sata people are talking about neither openstack (kilo)[1] nor the version of kvm[2] on Ubuntu 14.04 support a sata option among the 40 or so 'storage devices' emulated, maybe 'ide' which is the default that the example cli in the docs ends up using? but that also fails in the same way.

the most puzzling thing is I can use virtio on my workstation (using same qemu/kvm as my openstack hypervisors [3]) and it will boot fine with s/sda/vda/;

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtCustomHardwareing
[2] http://pastebin.com/gyeqM3g7
[3] QEMU emulator version 2.2.0 (Debian 1:2.2+dfsg-5expubuntu9.7~cloud2)