CumulusVX 3.0.1 Vagrant box

I'm not at all familiar with Vagrant, so please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but I've been telling a lot of people today about the v3.0.1, and how we can use ONIE and the binary to practice installing the OS in the VX virtual machine.

One of my friends uses Vagrant exclusively, and he commented that the Vagrant box was actually built in Virtualbox (he's a HUGE Vmware fusion fan). Is this true, and if so, is there an easy way to convert it for him to use it natively in Fusion? He found this blog post, but it's rather vanilla for his liking (dude is a serious pro when it comes to Vagrant). Are there any suggestions I can give him, or should he just stick with what's in the blog post, and customize it to his liking?

(I stick with KVM and Workstation, so it doesn't affect me. I just like helping out, when I can).

2 replies

Userlevel 4
There are several questions here it seems so I'll try to answer them in order.

Installing a VX binary inside of ONIE inside of a vagrant box breaks a lot of the way vagrant is designed to operate. For images (boxes) to be compatible with vagrant they have to be built in a very specific way. With the vagrant/vagrant user/passwd and a preshared SSH key and a few other items (see: https://blog.engineyard.com/2014/buil... ). Obviously when you overwrite a box that has been built for vagrant already (like Vx) with a clean install of another operating system those required users and what not that Vagrant needs to run will not be present which will make Vagrant angry.

While ONIE is present in Vx v3.0.0+, you won't see a lot of documentation on using ONIE with Vx just yet aside from this article --> https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/disp.... We're still perfecting just how we show this to users for the best experience. There will likely be further customization to both ONIE and the Vx binary install file to support this use-case with Vagrant and virtualized ONIE in general. If you're looking to tinker at this point, I'd recommend tinkering in vanilla Virtualbox and VMware for now. While it is possible to do the Vx binary install inside of ONIE in Vagrant /w Virtualbox and Libvirt (I've done it) it requires a good bit of setup that is not yet documented and the resulting installation is unable to be controlled by Vagrant since it does not contain the special treatments required for standard Vagrant boxes. I have a bug in to get those added so the process will be a bit more streamlined in the future.

Vagrant supports VMware (see: https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/vmware/ ) but we don't build for that vagrant provider at this time. I'm not aware of any coming changes to add a VMware provider image for Vagrant on our internal roadmap. Customer demand will (of course) shape that conversation over time but the blog you mentioned from Scott Lowe is the only other time I've seen/heard this mentioned. I would recommend using that blog as a starting point for further customization.
Ah! Ok! Thank you Eric! Like I said, I'm not familiar at all with Vagrant (I stick with KM and Workstation, personally), but I thought I'd just ask for my friend. For whatever reason, he's loathe to ask for help (he's pretty stubborn, to be honest), so I'll just tell him to stick with the blog post he found, and let him figure it out on his own.

Thanks again! 😃

Andrew