Integrating Hardware VTEPs with MidoNet and OpenStack

Hi, I used cumulus VX and trying to build hardware VTEPs with midonet.
But I got some trouble, is cumulus VX support this feature?

This is my configuration on Cumulus VX

eth0 172.20.3.1 : As management IP
swp1 10.0.0.1 : As tunnel IP

I followed https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Integrating+Hardware+VTEPs+with+Midokura+MidoNet+and+O...
and troubleshooting.

My ovsdb server connected with ovs client successfully.
But after I bound physical port swp1 with internal bridge, openstack host could not ping the tunnel IP on cumulus VX.

And I got warning message with midonet
" Failed to sync new bindings to VTEP: the Logical_Switch with name mn-xxxxx was not found. Recreate the binding to retry."

I guess that is because swp1 have been add to vxlan-bridge, but I dont know how to change my cumulus VX setting.

Can anyone help me ? Thanks !

5 replies

Userlevel 3
I have not tried the "hardware vtep" on VX. Did you perform the bootstrapping part and verify the OVSDB client was setup (ovsdb-client dump). The binding action on the midonet controller will add the port to the vxlan bridge. Sounds like the midonet controller never set up properly on the switch if the logical switch is not found.

Cheers,
Jason
Userlevel 1
From Midokura: Any reason why you are binding the swp to the internal bridge instead of to the Neutron network?
Andrius Benokraitis wrote:

From Midokura: Any reason why you are binding the swp to the internal bridge instead of to the Ne...

Sorry, I didn't write clearly. my internal bridge means Neutron private network.

Userlevel 3
Hey Getter, Thinking about this a bit more, herte are a few questions to add to the troubleshooting:

What swp port did you bind?
- It should be an unused L2 switchport.
- Many times, people make the mistake of binding the layer3 port, used by the openstack compute node for the L3 uplink to the switch. This will break the IP reachability and consequently VXLAN cannot work.

Can the compute node ping the VXLAN destination IP on the VX device?
- For the "hardware vtep" setup, you need to make sure the compute node can ping the layer3 destination which is used for the vxlan destination IP.

What is the "baremetal" device attached to the unused layer2 switchport?
- As mentioned in the first question this binding action includes the switchport in the vxlan-bridge, binding the physical port to the VXLAN VNI.

Please verify the setup, and provide an update.

Cheers,
Jason
Jason Guy wrote:

Hey Getter, Thinking about this a bit more, herte are a few questions to add to the troubleshooti...

I try to bound L2 port on VX and tcpdump tunnel NIC on VX.
I found vxlan tunnel may have been build.

When my instance ping the VX tunnel IP, I can get ARP request on VX.
But it do not reply request, I dont know is this correct?

Thanks for your reply.