I am currently trying to re-create the MLAG Spine-leaf example shown in the net expample cmd:
cumulus@spine1:~$ net example clag l2-with-server-vlan-trunks
We want to create a L2-MLAG leaf-spine network with VLAN trunks to the hosts;
these networks are traditionally used in virtualization use cases.
In this example We create an MLAG peering relationships between spine1/spine2 as
well as leaf01/leaf02 on their swp49 and swp50 interfaces. We'll distribute vlans
100-500 through the whole network, trunking VLANs 100-120 to host-11 (with vlan
You will need to configure spine1/spine2 and leaf01/leaf02, the steps for each
pair are very similar.
- create the peering; select one switch to be primary and the other secondary
- backup-ip is an optional (recommened) IP address that is separately reachable
- create VLANs 100-500
- create the mlag downlinks on the spines
- spine1 and spine2 MUST use the same clag-id for the downlink to the leaf-pair
- create the mlag uplinks on the leafs
- leaf01 and leaf02 MUST use the same clag-id for the uplink to the spine-pair
- configure a host facing interface for clag
- leaf01 and leaf02 MUST use the same clag-id for host-11
- connect the clag to host-11 to vlans 100-120, with vlan 100 untagged
- review and commit
Using GNS and the sample configs, I am able to managed to set up the 2 mlag pairs
1 - Mlag spine pair - mlag id 1
2 - Mlag leaf pair - mlag id 100
I could see the mlag pairs are set up properly.
spine2# net add clag peer sys-mac 44:38:39:FF:00:00 interface swp3-4 secondary backup-ip 10.0.0.1
spine2# net add vlan 100-500
spine2# net add bridge stp treeprio 16384
spine2# net add clag port bond bond-leaf-01-02 interface swp1,swp2 clag-id 1
spine2# net pending
spine2# net commit
leaf01# net add clag peer sys-mac 44:38:39:FF:00:01 interface swp3-4 primary backup-ip 10.0.1.2
leaf01# net add vlan 100-500
leaf01# net add clag port bond bond-to-spines interface swp1-2 clag-id 100
leaf01# net add clag port bond bond-to-host-11 interface swp5 clag-id 1
leaf01# net add bond bond-to-host-11 bridge trunk vlans 100-120
leaf01# net add bond bond-to-host-11 bridge pvid 100
leaf01# net pending
leaf01# net commit
However, what I am puzzled is, on the leaf switch, there is no need to configure a LACP bond as the dual connected ends of the spine mlag (id 1) pair. Also at each leaf switch, the bond only cover the 2 local uplinks.
In theory, shouldnt that be a port channel of the 4 links across the 2 leaf switches (logically)?
Vice versa, on the spine(s) ends, shouldnt that be a need LACP bond for the leaf mlag pair (id 100)?
Any guidance is much appreciated. Tks