ONIE-BOOT not found in CumulusVX3.5

I sm trying to reinstall CumulusVX via ONIE but after downloading the bin file it complains it can't find a device with the name ONIE-BOOT. When I enter the blkid command I don't get any devices. When I enter the command on the same virtual machine while running cumulusVX it does respond with device with a label ONIE-BOOT (/dev/sda2)
Could it be the VM definition?

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi Eelco,

Can you share exactly which image you are using where you see this behavior?

I brought up an instance of 3.5.2 VX using the vagrant image for Virtualbox, and I am able to see the expected devices in ONIE from the console:

3.5.0 kvm image. I will try tomorrow 3.5.2 on KVM/QEMU
the KVM for 3.5.2 also doesn't report any blkid
Userlevel 1
I see the same behavior with the KVM 3.5.2 image on my machine. However, I don't see this behavior with the vagrant images for either provider (virtualbox or libvirt), so I suspect it may have something to do with how the image was built, or general support for this in KVM.

In the meantime while I look into this further, do you have the ability to try vagrant with either the virtualbox or libvirt boxes?
I have done the ONIE upgrade once with a virtualbox image so I know it does work there. It is no big deal for me at the moment. I just wanted to report it so you could look into it. Keep up the good work 🙂
Userlevel 1
Are you using the CLI or a GUI to add the VX image?

This worked on my system after making a minor change during the setup process.

I'm running Linux, and using the Virtual Machine Manager application GUI. When adding the VM via the GUI, I selected "Import existing disk image". On the next screen, I selected the .qcow2 image, and set the OS type to Linux and Version to Debian Jessie. Previously, I left both OS type and Version as Generic and saw the same behavior you are seeing.

Looking at the details for the VM after creation, I saw that this step seems to have changed the underlying virtual disk options, as the disk was now listed as virtio instead of ide. To confirm this was the difference, I also launched an instance directly from the command line:
sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -name "VX-3.5.2" -m 1024 -drive file=/home/nmitchell/Downloads/cumulus-linux-3.5.2-vx-amd64.qcow2,if=virtio,index=0,media=disk -serial telnet:127.0.0.1:2003,server,nowait
In both cases, I now saw the expected output when executing blkid, and was able to execute onie-nos-install to install a new image. Can you give one of the above methods a shot, depending on how you are adding/launching the VX instance, and see if it helps?
This did the trick I created the VMs by templating a number of XML's out to a VM host. And in the template the disk type was ide. I changed it for one to virtio and the upgrade succeeds.