Question about how to connect two bridges of Cumulus VX in different computers and create a STP includes the two bridges?

I want to create a scenario with two bridges in the different computers and make the STP be working. The two bridges were connected each other with one physical port named swp1.

I used the traditional mode of bridge, because I need the PVST in the scenario.

Finally, the scenario wasn't what I want it to be... The STP status show that the two bridges not in the same STP.

I want to know how I can make the two bridges in the same STP.

Thanks.

(My /etc/network/interfaces files

# -------------pc1-------------------

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*.intf

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto swp1
iface swp1

auto br0
iface br0
address 10.0.0.2/24
bridge-ports swp1
bridge-stp on

auto br130
iface br130
address 10.0.130.2/24
bridge-ports swp1.130
bridge-stp on

# -------------pc2-------------------

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*.intf

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto swp1
iface swp1

auto br0
iface br0
address 10.0.0.10/24
bridge-ports swp1
bridge-stp on

auto br130
iface br130
address 10.0.130.10/24
bridge-ports swp1.130
bridge-stp on

4 replies

Userlevel 4
I am confused by what you're asking here. Are you saying these two VMs are being hosted on separate servers?If you're just talking about two VMs running on the same host there needs to be a configuration change. In your existing config, you are using the traditional bridge configuration i.e. one bridge for each VLAN. This traditional bridge configuration means that STP is on/off for each individual VLAN aka PVST. To run RSTP you need to use the Vlan-aware bridge configuration. This will put all VLANs into a single spanning tree instance. Here is an example of the bridge configuration required for that: auto bridge iface bridge bridge-vlan-aware yes bridge-vids 1 130 bridge-ports swp1
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'm sorry I can't express my ideas clearly.

Yes, these two VMs are being hosted on separate servers.

The environment I want to create is like Picture 1. In the environment, per VLAN has a spanning tree instance.

Picture 1

If I used my bridge configuration, the environment will be like it.

Picture 2

How can I make my environment be like Picture 1?

Userlevel 4
If you want to hard-code the root bridge for different VLANs you can use a configuration like the one below: # -------------pc1------------------- source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*.intf # The loopback network interface auto lo iface lo inet loopback # The primary network interface auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp auto swp1 iface swp1 auto br0 iface br0 address 10.0.0.2/24 bridge-ports swp1 bridge-stp on #Lower Priority Wins Root, Intervals of 4096 mstpctl-treeprio 4096 auto br130 iface br130 address 10.0.130.2/24 bridge-ports swp1.130 bridge-stp on mstpctl-treeprio 40960 # -------------pc2------------------- source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*.intf # The loopback network interface auto lo iface lo inet loopback # The primary network interface auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp auto swp1 iface swp1 auto br0 iface br0 address 10.0.0.10/24 bridge-ports swp1 bridge-stp on mstpctl-treeprio 40960 auto br130 iface br130 address 10.0.130.10/24 bridge-ports swp1.130 bridge-stp on mstpctl-treeprio 4096
Thank you so much!

After I set the mstpctl-treeprio, it's working!

I appreciate your kind assistance!