Solved

Unsupported keyword "bridge"

Hello,

I run the latest version of GNS3 in the latest version of Debian Stretch.

Yesterday I decided to learn how to configure Cumulus VX switches.

So, I added Cumulus VX switch into GNS3 because it's there by default.

When I tried to configure a simple topology and used this words in /etc/network/interfaces

auto bridge
iface bridge
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-ports swp1 swp2
bridge pvid 1
bridge-stp on

then reloaded interfaces with cmd ifreload -a

it says: error: /etc/network/interfaces: line24: iface bridge: unsupported keyword (bridge)

Later I tried to run Cumulux VX via VirtualBox but the same result.

Can you help me to solve this?

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Drew Bloechl 14 January 2019, 06:42

bridge pvid 1

This should be "bridge-pvid 1". Note the hyphen.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi @ScoRch. what version of Cumulus VX are you running?
Hi @Pete B

It is supposed to be version 3.7.2
bridge pvid 1

This should be "bridge-pvid 1". Note the hyphen.

bridge pvid 1This should be "bridge-pvid 1". Note the hyphen.

Really? Asking because I was watching a video and did everything what I saw and there was not the hyphen in that statement.

Next thing I noticed, maybe its not important, in the video was Cumulus VX version 2.5.6
Userlevel 2
Hi ScoRch,

The correct syntax includes the hyphen as Drew mentioned. Please reference the following section in the docs for more details:
https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/VLAN-aware+Bridge+Mode#VLAN-awareBridgeMode-ConfigureaVLAN-awareBridge

For the video where you saw this, was this provided by Cumulus Networks or some other source? It seems the contents of the video are incorrect, as this was the same syntax use in older versions of Cumulus Linux.
Hello,

so I tried it with the hyphen and voala it works :)

To that video...

I just watch it again and there is not the hyphen but with the same result "error: /etc/network/interfaces: line24: iface bridge: unsupported keyword (bridge)"

I did not notice that error sentence before I created this topic :(

So I tried it few minutes ago with the hyphen and there is no more error sentence.

Thank you very much for help and I am sorry for wasting your time for this.

Userlevel 2
Hi ScoRch,

No worries. Glad everything is working for you now!
Userlevel 4
Good eye, @Nick Mitchell; I missed the lack of hyphen!

@ScoRch. if you use the NCLU CLI to configure the network, it has a lot of built in safety features that would help you avoid these sorts of issues. The docs that Nick linked to above show the CLI in action.
Good eye, @Nick Mitchell; I missed the lack of hyphen!

@ScoRch. if you use the NCLU CLI to configure the network, it has a lot of built in safety features that would help you avoid these sorts of issues. The docs that Nick linked to above show the CLI in action.

NCLU CLI? Looks helpful, thank you 🙂
Userlevel 4
Great, good luck!