ZTP does not work in Cumulus VX

I play the ZTP in the lab 6 in Cumulus Boot Camp, using two Cumulus VX. I have configured a Mgmt VM as DHCP server and changed the DHCPd.conf.

I can not make this lab work in VX.

Does VX support ZTP ? If yes, what is the step-by-step procedure to troubleshoot this problem.

Currently, I do not see "autoprovision" file under /var/log. What will be the root cause ?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
OK, First thing is that we need to ensure that the web server is running on the management VM. Then If that is working and still not pushing we need to check the settings to be sure that the vms are talking to each other as they should. The Lab guide automatically assumes the web server is running and does not have that step.
Userlevel 4
VX supports ZTP. I would take a look at a few things. 1). Make sure your /var/lib/cumulus/autoprovision.conf file has been deleted. (this will allow ZTP to occur as if the box has never been previously provisioned). 2). Check to make sure that your DHCP server is setup correctly with the right options. as specified in the Boot Camp lab guide for module 6. Lab6 does not call out the installation of a webserver (because it is already installed in the workbench) so 3). Make sure the webserver has been installed on the mgmt vm -- if using Ubuntu you can use "sudo apt-get install apache2" 4). Place your ZTP script in the /var/www/ directory. 5). Make sure it has the CUMULUS-AUTOPROVISIONING string somewhere in the script. Let us know if that solves your issue. 6). Check your /var/log/syslog messages for things with the "cl-autoprovision" line such as:
Nov 19 01:02:01 s2leaf2 cl-autoprovision[18881]: version: 0.4
Nov 19 01:02:01 s2leaf2 cl-autoprovision[18881]: Attempting to provision from 'http://192.168.1.254/ztp_test.sh'
Nov 19 01:02:01 s2leaf2 cl-autoprovision[18881]: URL response code 200
Nov 19 01:02:01 s2leaf2 cl-autoprovision[18881]: Markers ok
Nov 19 01:02:01 s2leaf2 cl-autoprovision[18881]: Executing user provided script
Nov 19 01:02:10 s2leaf2 cl-autoprovision[18826]: Scripted returned success
Nov 19 01:02:10 s2leaf2 cl-autoprovision[18826]: Exiting Also feel free to reference our ZTP documentation for any additional tips and tricks --> http://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/displ...
Eric Pulvino wrote:

VX supports ZTP. I would take a look at a few things. 1). Make sure your /var/lib/cumulus/autopro...

Does option 239 supports tftp or it has to be http?
Userlevel 3
Eric Pulvino wrote:

VX supports ZTP. I would take a look at a few things. 1). Make sure your /var/lib/cumulus/autopro...

Yes it does, Windesson. FTP, TFTP, HTTP, HTTPS.
Userlevel 3
Eric Pulvino wrote:

For anybody looking at this in the future, debian jessie and many other newer distros require that you put the files on the webserver in the directory /var/www/html/, rather than /var/www/ . It's a good idea to test to see if you can fetch the file with wget or curl from another server on your network before trying with onie (or at least, if onie isn't able to fetch the file, as part of your troubleshooting).