Solved

How to configure IP address in ONIE without entering into the serial console.

I am trying to run the ONIE setup in a VM. I am unable to access the serial console from the VM. And this VM does not support DHCP. If I am able to configure the IP address, netmask and gateway, I may be able to login to the console through the ssh.
Any techniques by which I can configure the IP, by running some scripts during startup or so?
icon

Best answer by sikku 13 June 2018, 08:23

Hi Pete, I tried that article. The issue with the serial console is that the vSphere which our organization is using does not have the required license to enable the serial console. So it is basically the license issue. I was just thinking if there is any other workaround.
Thanks for the reply though.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi sikku, what hypervisor are you using? Seems like you're going to be stuck, since DHCP or the serial console would be the two ways to access the VM.
Hi Pete, thanks for the reply.
I am using VMware vSphere ESXI 6.5 as the Hypervisor. The current setup in our organization does not use DHCP in this VM, due to some other project requirement.
Any idea how to use ONIE in such environment?
Userlevel 3
And you're still not able to get the serial console working? You need the console in order to control ONIE. VMware has an article on how to configure a serial console in vSphere. Have you tried this yet?
Hi Pete, I tried that article. The issue with the serial console is that the vSphere which our organization is using does not have the required license to enable the serial console. So it is basically the license issue. I was just thinking if there is any other workaround.
Thanks for the reply though.
Userlevel 3
Sorry to hear that, @sikku. Seems you're in a bind here unless you can resolve that license issue.